Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day in Mid-Wilshire


I had a ringside seat at the enormous rally today...it was quite an amazing site. I was working in Koreatown that day and I know I only saw a fraction of the march. By the time I left I doubt more than a quarter of the half million had passed my corner.

From Wilshire & Vermont...I call this photo "Hollywood Gets it Wrong...Again," since the date should have been 5/1/06. Still, for those who paid attenion, The Signs Were All Around...

Of all the signs I saw, I think this was the most...er...endearing? Touching? In Pico Union and Koreatown...in fact, in a lot of downtown and east L.A. you'll see these vendors selling hot dogs wrapped in a strip of bacon and fried on little pushcart griddles: it's the L.A. rejoinder to the great street junk food of the east.

Well, they had a banner...the Organization of Hot Dog Vendors in Solidarity. Right on!

The office building I was in was pretty much empty by 4:00PM...the guard was a little tired of having to get up to let me in and out of the lobby...by 5, we were all gone, but the march was still going. Posted by Picasa

No comments: