Friday, May 08, 2009

What I'm Doing When I Don't Know What I'm Doing...

Like a lot of people in production, I have a giant collection of projects and ideas on post-its, in file cabinets...hell, I even have a wiki that's stuffed full of them. And I have the means to start capturing them: as I've been running races over the past couple of years I have been experimenting with all sorts of tools for doing that. Photos and footage shot under all sorts of circumstances for all sorts of reasons...again, no shortage there.

For at least a year I've been thinking about using all this raw material to perform some experiments in narrative...call them Microdocs.

The rules are simple: anything's fair game, always try new things, and be quick about it.

Here's the first one...Mission California. Who knows what the next one will be about....

Mission California - A Microdoc from John Flynn on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Mead said...

What a refreshing moment, John, thank you. It's fun to know that a California tradition continues, albeit hopefully with less naivete than when I was a kid. My brother and I used to spend hours in the background making missions out of mud! We viewed the whole setting as a kind of low-tech version of Lost i Space, I think.

Can't believe Max is so grown up!