Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Big Stroll


The Big Stroll 2008 - Walking Wilshire from John Flynn on Vimeo.

My father-in-law, Norm Palley, used to work for the Rand Corporation. Every spring he and several of his colleagues would take a Saturday to hike Wilshire Blvd. From the One Wilshire Building downtown, through Westlake, Koreatown, the Miracle Mile, Beverly Hills, Westwood, Brentwood and finally to Santa Monica (and yes, there is a Saint Monica waiting for you at the end of the road). We had a spectacular day...I'm sure we will repeat next year.

Life's Little Ironies Department: After all my admonitions from my allegedly knowledgeable position as a marathoner, I was the only one who got a blister. Sheesh! I have to say that it was VERY hard to JUST walk: starting around mile 9 or so I had an almost overwhelming compulsion to RUN. Maybe next year!

Like a lot of the running videos I have done, this was shot with an ordinary digital camera with about 15 minutes of video time available on the card. I used an X-Shot to get the fun stuff (up high, down low and 360), which has turned out to be sturdier than the Quick Pod I started with last year. The street-level stuff was flipped in Sony Vegas Studio. Hmmm...gotta get a bigger card.

There is a spectacular site that the LA Conservancy put together about Wilshire: check it out right here.

2 comments:

Innocent When You Dream said...

What a great idea! Will you invite us next year?

Anonymous said...

John -

Better than the walk itself!

Norm